Improving patient engagement
Placing the patient at the core of healthcare delivery has become the centre of attention for healthcare organizations. To augment the same, Patient Engagement is an effective approach that can be used by providers in healthcare landscape. Patient engagement generally covers a range of activities from, patients accessing their own clinical data via patient portals, discussing their treatment with their physicians through secure electronic messaging, monitoring their own health activities using wearable tracking devices, etc.
In the conventional ‘compliant patients’ approach, individuals used to obey directives from a health care provider but don’t engage themselves in the care continuum. This model is day by day getting passive and doesn’t give much hope for any long-term success. But the emerging patient engagement systems signifies the concept of ‘smart patient’ implies that patients must be engaged and activated to participate in their own care in order for clinical services to be truly effective. Patients who are more engaged in their healthcare are more likely to have positive outcomes. Patient engagement module in Netra software provides visible benefits in a hospital organization such as:
- Enhanced communication between patients and providers, facilitating shared decision making.
- Access to treatment information facilitate better care. Results are improved through increased ability to monitor patients health condition. More control over their lives helps to increase overall patient satisfaction.
- Lower operational costs, through mutually informed treatment plan and increased revenues as patients are adhering to routine wellness exams, tests, scans and lab tests through patient engagement.
A recent survey conducted by Black Book Market Research in Q2 2018 reported that customers have high expectations of the technology offerings from their healthcare providers in the near future, such as Engage them with digital provider tools (93% of respondents). The healthcare providers should consider technology solutions that can be used to support and streamline their processes and transform to a more patient-centric and patient-engaged model.
Building on this concept, healthcare professionals are adopting effective patient engagement tools such as Patient Portals that are mandated as a way to provide patients with timely access to their health care information 24/7 from anywhere with an Internet connection.
A patient cannot meaningfully engage in self-management activities if they are not familiar with their conditions, treatments, and other health issues. The use of patient portals help engage patients in their own care and be more active in their care management and wellness goals. Patient portals enhance Electronic Medical Record (EMR) accessibility for the patients that helps in shared decision making with the doctors. According to recent studies, Patients who receive quick access to their medical notes are 60% more likely to follow their medical plan and 80% of patients who can access their EMR use this information towards their care.
A portal that is seamlessly integrated and comes as part of your EMR package greatly helps in enhancing patient experience, which is turning to be the key differentiator for hospitals. We at ‘Software Associates’ provide hospital patient portal solutions integrated with our Netra software / Teja/ Vikas EMR systems that has helped various eminent clients across India to excel in the area of patient self service and engagement technologies. Key functionalities and benefits of our patient portal solutions include:
- Patients can do doctor appointments over the web and check insurance claim status online.
- Patients can access, email & download lab results, medicine & optical prescriptions, discharge & patient visit summaries, diagnostic reports online.
- Hospital E-commerce platform showcase and sell pharmacy, optical and hospital specialty products.
- Hospital admin dashboard is used for background data administration, monitoring portal visits, transactions, easy refunds & cancellations.
- Portal is accessible through smartphones, iPhones, tablets or desktops and security characterized by unique ID, password & OTP based logins.
Healthcare is moving towards a model where Patient Engagement is considered to be the first step toward improving patient education, experience, and satisfaction. Thus, embracing and implementing Patient Engagement using Netra software is a must for healthcare organizations who want to thrive in the healthcare environment today and in the future.